What is smoking?
Smoking is one of the most common forms of recreational drug use today….and has also been proven to be one of the leading causes of several systemic and life-threatening diseases. Some of the most common medical conditions associated with tobacco use include:
- Heart attacks
- Lung cancer
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
- Erectile dysfunction
- Birth defects
- Vascular stenosis
- ADHD to a fetus during pregnancy
How does smoking affect your oral health?
Quitting, or by simply reducing the amount you smoke now, can greatly reduce serious risks to your oral health, regardless of your smoking history. Chronic tobacco use may lead to dental problems. Here’s how:
- Increased risk of developing oral cancer
- Increased risk of developing gum disease ( gum disease is a leading cause of tooth loss )
- Bad breath ( halitosis )
- Tooth staining
- Increased risk of bone loss in the jaw
- Increased risk of white patches ( leaukoplakia ) inside the mouth
- Delayed healing from periodontal treatment, tooth extractions, or oral surgery
- Increased risk of failure of dental implant procedures
- Increase in plaque and tarter buildup on teeth
- Increased risk of inflammation of the salivary glands on the palate ( roof of the mouth )
Should cigarettes be substituted with smokeless tobacco?
- Increased risk of oral cancer
- Increased risk of throat and esophageal cancer
- May make it more difficult to quit smoking because of the higher nicotine content
- Gum irritation and recession
- Increased risk of tooth decay ( high sugar content )
- Increased risk of tooth wear ( contains abrasive particles )
http://moragbrand.com/?ljap=quali-rischi-si-corrono-operazioni-binarie&a1d=5e As one of the leading causes of preventable death globally, smoking is a life-threatening activity requiring immediate attention by you and all those surrounding you. Aside from the obvious benefit for you and your family, The National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute has compiled a simple, yet very significant, list of why one should consider quitting.
What are the top 10 reasons to quit smoking?
- You will reduce your chances of having a heart attack or stroke
- You will reduce your chances of getting lung cancer, emphysema, and other lung diseases
- You will have better smelling clothes, hair, breath, home, and car
- You will climb stairs and walk without getting out of breath
- You will have fewer wrinkles
- You will be free of your morning cough
- You will reduce the number of coughs, colds, and earaches your child will have
- You will have more energy to pursue physical activities you enjoy
- You will treat yourself to new books or music with the money you save from not buying cigarettes
- You will have more control of your life
How can you kick the smoking Habit?
forum italiano opzioni digitali Life challenges are difficult to accomplish, at times, without the history of tried and tested plans designed to facilitate the journey to success. According to the U.S. Public Health Service, studies show that the Five Keys listed below can help you quit, and stay smoke free! Using all five is recommended for the best results:
- Get ready
- Get support and encouragement
- Learn new skills and behaviors
- Get medication and use it correctly
- Be prepared for relapse or difficult situations
For details on these Five Keys, or to request a copy of the “You Can Quit Smoking Consumer Guide,” please log onto www.surgeon general.gov/tobacco/quits.htm.
Dr. Dargham would be honored to share more detailed information with you on how to get started. There’s no one “right” way to quit smoking. You can choose the methods that are most comfortable for you. There are more options and sources of help today than ever before.
To stop using tobacco, please ask Dr. Dargham how we can help ease your nicotine desires. Available are medications ( either over the counter or by prescription ), resources for smoking cessation classes and support groups, and herbal remedies such as hypnosis and acupuncture. Afterall, we all need all the support available to help kick our bad habits.
Please contact Dr. Dargham and her team to schedule your initial consultation. For your convenience, Dr. Dargham welcomes patients in one of two locations (Coconut Grove Dental Clinic and Biscayne Blvd. Dental Clinic), both located in the heart of Miami Dade County.
|Coconut Grove Dentist||Biscayne Boulevard Miami Dentist|